These terms and conditions apply to any work I (the Freelance) do for you (the Client). Please read them carefully. All clients must agree to these terms before any work is undertaken.
1. The Client is under no obligation to offer the Freelance work; neither is the Freelance under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
2. The Freelance will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
3. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by the Freelance, using her own equipment.
4. The Freelance confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and for paying VAT (where applicable) and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
5. The Client will reimburse the Freelance for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
6. The Client will pay the Freelance a fee per 1,000 words OR per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the job, plus VAT where applicable.
7. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, the Freelance may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
8. Similarly, if, during the term of the Freelance’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, the Freelance may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
9. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
10. All fees up to and including £250 are payable in advance. Where a project fee exceeds £250, 50% will be payable in advance as security, the balance falling due 14 days after receipt of the finished project.
11. Should an invoice remain outstanding after 14 days, the Freelance reserves the right to refuse to undertake any further work, including work in progress, until all outstanding invoices are paid.
12. Any content created by the Freelance as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
13. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
14. If the Freelance’s work is unsatisfactory, the Freelance will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
15. Either the Client or the Freelance has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
16. If the Freelance has made a substantial contribution to the copy-editing/proofreading/project management of the work, she will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work (if applicable).
17. The Freelance may use the Client’s name in her promotional material.